Weed remedies – 18 proven options to get rid of weeds in the garden or forever
Everyone who grows vegetables or flowers, in his personal actions, always encounters the problem of weeds, taking over beds and beds with cultural plantings. A weed remedy helps if regular weeds don’t stop the pesky weed from growing.
To get a good crop, you need to control the growth of weeds and destroy them in a timely manner. This process is not so simple. A good weed and grass remedy will permanently clear the fertile soil of noxious plants and shrubs.
Bioard is a new product on the market
Bioard, a new generation organic bicide, was developed to control more than 400 species of wild weeds. At the same time, thanks to the universal formula, the drug has a positive effect on fruit and vegetable plants. “Bioard” comes in the form of a small serum bottle.
- 25 ml of serum is diluted in 3 liters of water;
- The finished liquid is enough to spray 12 m2 of land.
- Increases the immunity of cultivated plantings;
- Safe for animals, insects and people.
Cost – 99 rubles per 100 ml
Herbicides are pesticides in cases where fighting weeds takes a lot of time and effort. Herbicides help to get rid of weeds for a long time, to slow down growth or to destroy weeds at the root. There are preparations of different action.
“Lintor” – the best remedy from weeds on the lawn. The active ingredient of the drug penetrates into the structure of the plant through the leaves and disrupts metabolism. The synthesis of protein molecules is disturbed, which leads to the rapid death of the plant.
Instructions for use:
- Loosen a package of the substance 1.8 g in 5 liters of water and mix thoroughly with a wooden stick;
- The prepared mixture is sufficient for 100 m2 of lawn area;
- If possible, the remaining adjacent areas should be covered with a screen of foil.
- Spray the areas of the lawn most affected by weeds: wheatgrass, dandelion, midge and birch.
After 2 weeks, the weeds will die and the desired crop can be sown in the vacated space.
- Don’t eliminate lawn weeds, which are selective against weeds;
- economical liquid consumption;
- Absolutely safe for bees;
- Not used for young lawns that are less than a year old.
Price: 65 rubles for 1.8 g
Another remedy for weeds in the garden is the concentrate “Miura”. The clever drug is applied directly to the beds. It acts selectively, so that carrots, onions, cabbage and beets do not suffer. “Miura” has a wide range of action on various types of weeds.
- 8 ml of the drug per 10-liter bucket of cold water;
- 2 liters of the remedy is enough per hundred square meters;
- Spray the weeds from the moment of appearance of 2-4 leaves;
- All work should be done in the morning or evening in dry windless weather.
2 months is enough to protect against the growth of new weeds.
- Affects selectively without damaging the structure of cultural stocks.
- The solution must be constantly stirred.
Cost – 125 rubles per 12 ml
The drug acts not only on common weeds, but also on bush weeds. “Glyphos” evaporates, is absorbed from the surface of the leaves, mixed with the juice of the plant. The weed dies in a month. The crop is protected from treatment because “Glyphos” is not selective.
- Before applying Glyphos, first dig out the weeds.
- Dilute 8 ml in 1 liter of water;
- Consumption – 1 liter of solution per 20 m2;
- After spraying the plot dissolve the soil for 5 days.
The death of weeds comes completely in a month.
- Long-term storage;
- Wide area of application;
- Suitable for treating large areas.
- The effect is achieved after a long time;
- It is not selective.
How much does it cost: 25 rubles for 4 ml
The remedy deprives weeds of cellular respiration and spreads to the roots, discs and seeds. Destruction of plants separated by rhizomes: dandelion, hogwort, thistle, white fly agaric in 5 days after 5 days. Planting of cultivated plants can be carried out in two weeks.
How to use:
- 50 ml dissolve in 5 liters of water;
- This solution is enough to spray 100 m2.
- Do not dry the floor;
- The herbs wipe off after 2 days.
- Overdose is dangerous to cultivated plants;
- High monetary costs.
Price: 175 rubles for 50 ml
This product is used both before planting of cultivated plants, and after their planting. But before the appearance of the first sprouts. It is noteworthy that the drug does not accumulate in the soil and does not affect the root plants. Agrokiller has a continuous action, so protection is required near the plantings.
Instructions for use:
- Dilute 40 ml in 3 L of water;
- Spray on the undesirable vegetation;
- Consumption: 3 liters of solution per one hectare of land.
- Safe for humans and bees;
- Easy to use;
- Must be used carefully to avoid getting the product into vegetable and flowering plants.
Cost – 280 rubles for 40 ml
The drug is better to use 5 days before planting seeds or seedlings of vegetables or after harvesting, as “Graund” is a herbicide of continuous action. The maximum effect will be achieved in a week and will last for the next year.
- Dissolve 100 ml of the contents of the bottle in 5 liters of water;
- Stir well with a wooden stick;
- Treat weeds by spraying before it rains (2.5 liters per hundredweight).
- Does not affect soil fertility;
- Has a longer lasting effect.
- Can destroy cultivated plants if used carelessly;
- Freezing reduces the effect of “gray”.
How much does it cost: 450 rubles for 100 ml
The remedy is used during the flowering of tissues and before the beginning of seed release. “Hurricane” will penetrate through the stems and bark in 2-3 weeks in plants, including shrubs. After treatment at the planting site is recommended for the next season.
- Dilute 100-200 ml in 10 liters of water;
- Pour the solution into a sprayer and treat the overgrown area.
- Consumption rate – 2 liters per 100 m2.
- destroys tall grasses;
- acts on the roots and decomposes them;
- Does not accumulate in the ground;
- Safe for bees and animals.
- Poisonous to humans;
- Planting plants immediately after treatment is prohibited.
Price: 2 000 rubles per 1000 ml
The powdered chemical is popular among gardeners as a weed killer in potato fields and tomato beds, including the greenhouse. “Lazurite” acts selectively and does not pose a threat to cultivated plants.
How to use:
- Dilute 10 g of powder in 3 L of water for primary treatment a week after planting potatoes;
- Dilute 10 g of the substance per 9 liters of water for the second treatment, when potato shoots reach 5-6 cm;
- treatment of the soil for tomatoes a week before planting seedlings;
- Consumption per one hundred square meters is 3 liters of working solution;
- Plots are treated by spraying the soil.
- It only stops the photosynthesis of weeds; it does not harm the plants;
- It is necessary to treat the soil in 2 stages (with potatoes).
- Toxic to humans.
Cost – 315 rubles per 20 g
A powerful means of continuous action – the drug “Tornado” Extra. It helps to get rid of such problematic grasses as bentgrass, wheatgrass, as well as harmful bush plants. The grass completely dies off in a week. It is desirable to use “Tornado” before sowing crops.
Instructions for use:
- Dilute 40 ml of the substance in 3 liters of clean water;
- Spray the area before sowing or apply by covering vegetable seedlings with protective film.
- 3 liters of solution is enough for 100 m2 of land.
- Suitable for all types of weeds;
- works under various temperature conditions;
- safe for humans.
- nonselective action.
How much does it cost: 300 rubles for 40 ml
“Graders” is used to treat large areas of land without harvesting. The exceptions are resistant to its poison sunflower and rapeseed. Herbaceous weeds treated with the drug, in a few days stop growing and die off, withering on the vine.
- Consumption per hectare is 150-200 liters of prepared solution;
- Pour 0.075-0.12 liters of “Grader” into a container (about 150-200 liters per 1 ha), filled with water to 2/3 of the volume, stir it up and add the remaining third of water;
- Spraying should be done when weeds reach the 2-4 leaf phase, and sunflower/rapeseed reach the 5 leaf phase.
- unwanted plants are removed without residue;
- Can be used for seedlings of rape and sunflower;
- not washed away by rain.
- May kill other agricultural plantings growing nearby;
- it is dangerous for bees and people.
Price: 50 000 rubles per 10 liters.
5 home remedies for weed control, which you can make yourself
Every gardener is constantly struggling with weeds on a garden plot. Many homeowners pull weeds by hand. But as soon as it rains, you have to start all over again after a few days. There are several folk remedies on how to easily get rid of weeds on the plot.
Alcoholic liquids are known for their disinfectant properties. This quality goes to the ground. A mixture of water and ethyl alcohol is used to kill bacteria and weeds before planting crops, as well as to kill seeds and weed seedlings.
How to use:
- Dilute 100 ml of alcohol with 1 liter of water;
- Spray the prepared bed with a garden sprayer;
- do not dig up any more;
- Plant vegetables, flower crops produce in a week.
- The solution is harmless to humans;
- Alcohol can be replaced by vodka, but diluted at the rate of 250 ml of vodka per 1 liter of water;
- 1 liter of solution is enough to treat 10 m2.
- High cost of alcohol;
- Pure alcohol is not available on the market.
A mixture of vinegar, salt and washing powder (detergent)
In order to eliminate unwanted plants without a trace, gardeners use improvised means, which are available in every home: vinegar, salt, washing powder or cheap detergent. It turns out an effective home remedy, with which you can quickly get rid of weeds.
Instructions for use:
- Grate soap on a coarse grater;
- Mix equal parts of the ingredients in a liter of hot water;
- Spray the resulting solution on the patches between the paving stones and beds.
- Safe for people and animals;
- Especially effective on hot days.
- Washes off with rain;
- Cannot be used directly in the beds.
Vinegar and salt.
A strong mixture is capable of destroying the strongest weeds. This forgotten method was used back in the previous war years due to the lack of herbicides. People used this simple method to remove weeds to open up new fields for sowing grain.
- Pour 1 cup of edible salt into a 5-liter can of vinegar;
- Stir thoroughly until the crystals dissolve;
- Spray unwanted vegetation with the mixture without touching the agricultural crops.
- Safe for humans.
- Vegetable plants may die if used carelessly.
Using Food Powder
To keep grass from growing on the plot, gardeners use ordinary baking soda. The alkaline solution is effective if weeds have not yet grown on the plot. Young weeds are thrown under the root with a baking soda solution. It is important to make sure that the solution does not get on vegetables and flowering plants.
- Dilute a packet of baking soda (500 g) in 2 liters of warm water;
- Pour the solution into a watering can and sprinkle the overgrown area.
- Cheap and generally safe;
- Not effective enough.
- Hazardous to vegetable crops.
The method is ideal for decorated beds or thickened berry bushes. Sämeld is spread in raspberry beds in autumn between ridges as paths, between Schlehdornbüschen, in raspberry beds. In the spring, when the snow melts, the chips are spread again (without first digging up the ground).
How to use:
- Dry fine sawdust is poured in a thick layer of 5 cm between the rows;
- Backfilling should be carried out in autumn and spring.
- Large wood sawdust is not suitable;
- Sademel is not always easy to get (especially in the city).
2 Mechanical options for removing weeds at a construction site
Mechanical methods help get rid of weeds, including hand weeding, using a hoe, chopper, cultivator, and trench. In order to clear the soil of obstructive vegetation, it’s best to combine all methods. Tools help make the task easier.
Tornado hand cultivator
The manual cultivator “Tornado” is effective and easy to use.
Its tines are arranged in such a way that the use of new items does not require much physical strength. It is enough to easily press the handle and turn the device to pull out a clod of earth together with weeds. Many reviews evaluated the novelty positively. Datcha saves time and hassle in the garden.
Shovel, shredder, rake and hands
The traditional method of weed control is the use of garden tools.
Weeds dug up in the fall with a shovel (or hay fork) are frozen for the winter. Dense thickets of grass are cut with a chopper, roots are uprooted, and creeping weeds are picked with a rake. The ridges of carrots (and other similar plants) are broken by hand from the weeds (using tools is impractical).
How to get rid of weeds: chemical, mechanical, biological and folk methods of controlling vermin on your plot
In order to get an abundant harvest, it is necessary to properly care for cultivated plantings, including the regular cleaning of the soil from weeds. There are many methods of combating unwanted vegetation, each of which has its own advantages, disadvantages and varying degrees of effectiveness. In today’s article, I will talk about how to get rid of weeds by traditional and folk methods.
Using pesticides to kill weeds gives a good result, but this method requires caution for obvious reasons. The use of herbicides is justified when other methods require a lot of time and effort, for example, when sowing large areas.
There are solid preparations, destructive to plants, and selective, destroying only their specific species. Among the former, Roundup, Agrokiller and Tornado are popular. Effective selective herbicides:
- “Cottonwood T” – for weeds on tomatoes;
- “Cleansing” – destroys thistle, pigweed, dandelion, hogweed and other pesky plants;
- “Miura” – copes with the largest number of weeds without harming crops;
- “Deimos” – used in lawn care to give it a nice and neat appearance without harmful undergrowth.
When using herbicides, carefully follow dosage and safety precautions: work with gloves, respirators and goggles.
These methods do not require chemicals.
We arm ourselves with tools and dig over the area, removing all rhizomes from the ground. The method is labor-intensive, but effective against perennial grasses such as dandelion, sagebrush, wheatgrass and yams. Experienced gardeners advise using a pitchfork instead of a shovel to avoid damaging the roots and provoking a new invasion of weeds.
The method is similar to the previous one, only this time we dig over and clean the soil in late fall after the harvest. Nature will do the rest for you: with the onset of frost, the remains of rhizomes and most of the seeds will die. The effect will be greatest in low-snow and cold winters.
Manual weeding remains one of the most effective ways to get rid of weeds, but regularity is important to achieve results. Pros – high effectiveness against annual weeds such as quinoa, chokecherry, cornflower and few.
Minuses – monotony and duration of work.
The essence of the method is to regularly prune seedlings at the base until their roots have exhausted the supply of nutrients and die. Effective in the fight against rooting weeds – thistle, bindweed and bitterling.
This method is used until the first sprouts appear. Excess vegetation is destroyed with a blowtorch with pushing the boats above the surface of the ground. To avoid burning the soil and damaging the cultivated seeds, do not stay in one place for long periods of time.
Be extremely careful, as the method is dangerous. Do not use it in hot weather and be sure to water the beds after the procedure is complete.
Preparations with active ingredients are a good alternative for those who want to avoid using chemicals. It is necessary to cut the weeds and water the soil with the prepared solution, as a result of which the plant rhizomes in the soil will begin to rot and recycle. The procedure is carried out in the fall after harvesting.
The most well-known means are “Vostok EM-1” and “Shining-3”.
Watch a video on how to create an EM solution.
Ammonium nitrate is a universal fertilizer obtained by mixing nitrogen and hydrogen, it is also used for weed control. 3 kg of nitrate is dissolved in a bucket of water and the resulting solution is sprayed on the plants. As a result, the weeds are burned without harm to the soil and people, and the remains go into the soil and become excellent food for useful plants.
Mulching involves covering the soil around the plants with various materials. This method has several advantages:
- reducing the number of pests;
- protecting the soil from overheating, overcooling and dehydration;
- improvement of internal microflora, such as increasing the activity of earthworms;
- decorative function.
Hay, straw, sawdust and shavings, leaves, needles, humus, compost or peat are used as mulch. They not only protect the soil, but also act as a fertilizer.
Inorganic materials can also be used for mulching: foil, expanded clay, pebbles, gravel, cardboard or paper.
Soil does not tolerate voids, and if the beds in the garden after the harvest are left clean, pests will soon sprout on them. To prevent this, sow green manure – it suppresses weed viability and also serves as a natural fertilizer for the soil.
What grass to sow to keep weeds from growing? White mustard, Marchantia, buckwheat and rye will do an excellent job with this mission. However, the latter also displaces useful crops, so do not plant them next to each other.
Here, too, we follow the principle “the land should not be empty.” To prevent weeds, plant plants close to each other, combining them properly:
- Late cabbage combines well with cauliflower, tomatoes, onions and beans;
- Cucumber feels great next to tomatoes and cabbage;
- Chicory, onions, cucumber, carrots and beets are friends with each other.
And these are just some of the successful combinations. There are also bad neighbors: for example, cucumbers and potatoes, onions and legumes.
Methods of combating weeds, which were used by your mothers and grandmothers, are not so outdated.
Ordinary table salt is a powerful weapon in the fight against weeds and, most importantly, environmentally friendly. When using it, you should try not to get it on the crops, or they will die. It is best to treat the garden tiles and soil on the paths between the beds. If someone else’s abandoned lot is nearby, sprinkle salt on the edges to limit weeds from entering your yard.
A concentrated alkaline solution made from baking soda will kill weeds. To prepare it, add five tablespoons of baking soda to a liter of warm water and pour the resulting liquid on unwanted plants. It is important to do this immediately: the solution will retain its properties for no more than 2-3 hours.
To get the maximum effect, try to adhere to the following rules:
- Treat in the morning and evening in hot weather for several days;
- Use the solution against young vegetation. Overgrown weeds cannot be killed this way;
- Try not to get it on the crops.
Vinegar is more effective against weeds than many chemicals and at the same time is safe for animals and people. In order not to destroy the root system of vegetable crops, vinegar is used carefully, taking into account the dosage and rules of treatment.
The classic way is to flood the weeds with 9% acetic acid, after which they quickly die. Suitable for selective application.
Various solutions are also used:
- 40% acid is mixed with water in a ratio of 1: 1. It helps well against perennials with a stable root system;
- 6% vinegar is diluted in one liter of water and spray weeds in this way. If necessary, repeat after 2-3 days;
- 5 tablespoons of 9% vinegar and 2 tablespoons of table salt put in a liter of boiling water. The solution kills vegetation from the first treatment.
A classic recipe for herbicidal soap: salt, vinegar (5% or 9%) and liquid soap are mixed in equal parts. You can use grated soap or dishwashing soap. It is advisable to pour the resulting mixture on the weeds on a hot day. It is best to cover the cultivated plants with heavy paper to protect them.
This method is used about a month before harvesting. The floor is sprayed with alcohol, vodka or moonshine: alcohol provokes the accelerated growth of weeds, and everything in the ground immediately germinates. All that remains is to remove the sprouts.
The method is as simple as five kopecks: take a pot of boiling water and pour unwanted vegetation. Repeat this for several days until the result. Some gardeners advise to use hot water after boiling eggs – it gives a stronger effect.
It is important not only to destroy harmful plants, but also to prevent their re-entry into the plot. Here are some useful tips.
- Don’t leave the ground open for too long. Above, we already talked about how to seed it – green manure is a great option. Or cover the floor with mulch.
- Don’t be too lazy to mow the weeds on the construction site. Then weed seeds are sure to get into their area.
- If possible, install a drip irrigation system for plants. Only beneficial plants get moisture, and it becomes difficult for weeds to grow.
- Change your planting locations each year. The soil stays fertile longer, and no habitual conditions are created for free riders to live.
- When composting, do not add weeds with seeds and tire roots.
To say unequivocally: It is not possible to eliminate all weeds on the plot once and for all. Nor is there a universal way that gives a 100% result. But by patiently and comprehensively using these methods, you can significantly reduce the amount of unwanted vegetation in your garden. How do you fight weeds?