How to mow the grass with a lawnmower
Decorating green lawns at dachas and country estates is becoming a popular activity. At first glance, everything is simple: allotted a place for a green lawn, seeded the area with grass seeds and wait until the field turns into a green lawn. And only then comes the understanding of the need for proper care, which is, above all, the skillful operation of lawn mowers. It turns out that you need to mow the lawn not only for beauty.
Why and how often you should mow your lawn
Lawns are usually planted with grasses of the cereal family, and mowing keeps them from blooming and fruiting. This simple technique extends the growing season of the plants, promotes good rooting, growth of green side shoots and tillering. Regular mowing helps to compact the lawn, and dense “cultivated” grass prevents the growth and spread of weeds. Timely mowing will keep your lawn green throughout the warm season.
As for the frequency of mowing the lawn, there is no straightforwardness. This parameter depends on several objective factors:
- The type of vegetation to be sown;
- type of soil and fertilizer;
- seasonal growth patterns of plants;
- the purpose of the lawn.
The first lawn mowing work begins in the spring, after the grass reaches a height of 12 – 14 cm on the planned seeding lawn. It is recommended to mow over-wintered lawns when the grass has grown to a height of 7 – 10 cm. Depending on the intended use of the green cover, the grass is mowed to a height of 4 – 7 cm. After each pulling of the grass, it is recommended to mow it again to a height of 2-3 cm above the desired level.
In summer, do not mow the lawn too short in order to prevent the plants from drying out prematurely.
Adjusting the cutting height of the lawnmower
Structurally, the lawnmower is designed in such a way that the grass cutting height can be adjusted. The range can vary depending on the model. Manufacturers of devices indicate the minimum and maximum values of this parameter in the accompanying documentation. Inexpensive models with interchangeable height positions generally have 3, more expensive and advanced models may have 5-7 regulator positions.
For lawns with irregularities usually choose a model with a larger height adjustment range.
The technical solution for selecting the cutting height can vary from model to model. There are two types of adjustment: manual and mechanical. The first involves turning off the motor and manually changing the regulator position. With the mechanical method, the cutting height can be changed by pressing a button on the control lever without interrupting the process.
Lawn mowing rules
Owners of neglected lawns are wondering whether it is correct to mow tall grass with a lawn mower. Judging by the reviews, a quality gasoline wheeled unit with a capacious hopper to collect the mowed greenery copes with such a task in a few passes. But the work is unpleasant: loud noise and harmful emissions.
When running, the trimmer mows the lawn much faster, but after completing this work it is necessary to collect the cut greenery with a rake.
Hence the conclusion: the owners of lawn mowers should not allow the growth of tall grass.
Also, the question often arises, whether it is possible to mow with a gasoline lawnmower wet grass. The rules state: it is not recommended to work with a lawnmower in the rain or after watering, as such mowing is of poor quality and there is a risk of getting ugly stripes.
In addition, there are other rules that must be observed when mowing the lawn.
- A sweltering summer day is not the best time to cut the grass. Fresh patches dry out quickly and their yellowing spoils the appearance of the lawn.
- It is recommended to mow the lawn in the morning or evening in dry weather, a day after rain or watering, when the soil and grass are dry.
- Make sure that the lawn knife is sharpened. Working with blunt blades is fraught with problems in the form of stuck leaves and grass cracking at the root.
- Before you start mowing, you need to collect fallen leaves, trees and other twiggy debris to use earth mounds formed by earthworms, ants and other insects.
- You should decide on the direction of mowing so that it is at an angle to the previous one. Otherwise, the appearance of the lawn will be associated with the wash.
- When mowing, you need to keep parallelism and not leave narrow strips, and pay attention to the grass under the wheels.
The mulching function in a lawn mower
When caring for beds and lawns, there are several ways to improve soil fertility. Mulching is a necessary activity to restore the lawn as well as prevent soil erosion. Grass clippings have proven to be a good mulch. It is recommended to regularly mow the grass and prepare compost from it, which will be used as an organic fertilizer of the lawn in winter.
There are wheeled units that already have a mulching feature built in. With this additional feature, the lawnmower mulches the grass and raw fallen leaves during mowing: the process consists in shredding and gently throwing the organic bits into the mowed part of the lawn. The advantage of such models is obvious: the lawn is cleaned of plant residues, which in the newly formed form are returned to the surface of the soil, enriching it. However, the cost of a lawn mower with additional features will be higher than that of a conventional model.
The challenges of operating a lawn mower
Like any gardening equipment, a lawn mower bike requires compliance with the rules of safe operation. You can only operate your power tool if it’s in good working order – this is an unshakable requirement. You must always check that your electric or petrol-powered machine is in good working order before you operate it. General safety rules and the manufacturer’s instructions must be followed when carrying out the work.
There are five main problems when using a lawn mower:
- collision with an obstacle;
- oil leaking;
- blades getting clogged by grass;
- The device pushes off the ground with the grass;
- Uneven mowing.
All problems are more or less solvable. In the first two situations, you will most likely have to seek help from professionals. To prevent such problems, it is recommended to check the location before cutting stones and other objects in the lawn grass and not to put the device in unfolded storage.
Young, soft and succulent grass can clog the grass exit hole and then unstable, torn engine operation is observed. In this case it is necessary to regularly clean the holes of the grass segments with a thin, sharp tool to prevent operation.
If the mower punctures not only grass stems, but also clumps of earth, a new configuration of the cutting height helps to correct the situation so that the knife does not reach the ground. If the unit cuts the grass in uneven strips and streaks when the engine is running normally, then the problem is with the blade: it’s either dull or not fully installed.
In order to clearly show the correct positioning of the cutting tool, refer to the manufacturer’s instructions. It is better to entrust the sharpening of the knife to a specialist.
Do not forget to use personal protective equipment when working with the lawnmower. Regularly conduct an inventory of the functioning, so that over time to identify errors and solve the problem before a serious failure occurs.
How to mow grass with an electric trimmer: preparation, process, safety precautions
Buying a country house or cottage, the buyer usually receives a plot covered with vegetation.
For grass mowing, there are many devices with different types of engines, including electric.
Trimmer with this type of engine is commonly referred to as electric mowers or electric mowers.
Proper use of this garden equipment is the key to decent grass hair and a long service life of the device.
If you mow the grass incorrectly, there is a high probability of:
- Damage to the electric mower;
- Unsatisfactory mowing results;
- Electrical shock;
- Various injuries.
How to prepare an electric mower?
To build an electric mower for work, do the following steps:
- Assemble the folding trimmer bar, which we talked about in detail here.
- Install the cutting tool appropriate for the task at hand (only for devices equipped with a trimmer head and a knife or hard disc);
- Check the condition of the cable and wire.
- Route the cable to the work area.
If you have a device with a folding boom, assemble it as described in the instruction manual. Since manufacturers of such devices use different methods to connect and fix the waves, and then focus only on the instruction manual, do not use videos published on the Internet or other questionable sources of information.
After all, what works for one model is not always applicable to another, and trying to do what you saw or read in a questionable source can lead to a machine.
If your mower comes with different types of cutting tools, choose the one that best fits your current task.
- A fishing line greatly disturbs grass, but does not damage trees;
- Grass is neatly cut by a two- or three-fingered blade, but even shrub shoots and even more so thick branches are a threat to it;
- A saw blade is not afraid of branches, but severely disturbs the grass.
To check the cable and wire, examine it carefully and try to recognize the slightest damage to the insulation and just parts of the wire. If such a defect is recognized, repair the wire and repair the extension cord.
Also make sure that the wire plug in the cable is securely defined so that it will not fall out of the cable even if there is a strong vibration. Before laying the electrical cable, think carefully about the trajectory along the site.
Remember that the following trajectories are optimal for mowing grass:
- Forward and backward with an offset to the back edge of the seat with each passport;
- Left and right with a forward shift with each pass.
As you move along these paths, you’ll be able to keep the cable behind you, which means you won’t get tangled or cut it with the trimmer’s cutting tool.
Preparing the plot for mowing
To prepare the plot for mowing, walk over it and remove any obstructions, i.e:
- All sawed off or broken branches;
- Construction or household debris, including plastic and glass bottles.
Keep in mind that any debris can cause collapse or injury on site, as it either defaces it or flies off at high speed.
Bricks or glass bottles can break into pieces, each flying on an unpredictable trajectory. So remove all debris from the area before you start mowing.
An electric trimmer is a potentially dangerous device, and safety rules are designed with accidents that have occurred while working with such devices in mind.
Here are those rules:
- Before starting work, check the condition of the cable connecting the outlet and the electric trimmer; if it has even a small defect, repair or replace it.
- Before you start, check that all screws and nuts are tight, and inspect the electrical wiring. Are there any parts, no chips exposing the wires. If at least one of these is found, repair the defect yourself or take the unit to the service for repair.
- Use clothing that is free of dangling parts, fasten all buttons, or close with a zipper.
- Use shoes with non-slip soles.
- Be sure to wear goggles or a mask.
- Do not use a trimmer that has a cutting tool that does not match the area.
- Do not mow grass in cloudy weather.
- Do not start mowing if you feel uncomfortable or are under the influence of alcohol or other substances that affect your reaction time and judgment.
- When people are near the mowing area, ask them to move away so that grass or clumps of earth and small stones fly under the cutting tool.
- Before mowing and at the start of each season, read the instruction manual for your electric mower carefully.
- Do not overheat the machine or allow it to overheat.
- Use your electric mower only for cutting the grass. Remember, when you need to trim or cut wood, use a brush cutter or chainsaw, but not an electric lawnmower.
- Do not let children play with this tool.
- Do not carry the trimmer by the power cord.
- Unplug the unit if you stop working for a few minutes, including to clear clumped vegetation.
- Watch the position of the cable so that it does not get under your feet or under the cutting tool.
- Use when it is raining or when the grass is covered with a rope. If the unit gets wet for any reason, get to a service station for inspection and drying or do it yourself.
- Check the condition of the vents every 10-15 minutes and clean them if necessary.
- Do not try to cut the grass as quickly as possible, you may overload the engine and break the unit.
- If you feel that the engine or transmission is hot, but you have not exceeded the operating time and have not overloaded the electric vehicle, take it to the service station for inspection and repair.
- Do not secure the switch in the “integration” position with tape, rope, or any other method, hold it with your fingers only.
- Do not mow grass after rain or until dew has dried on it.
How to mow grass correctly?
Here is a description of how to mow the grass correctly with an electric trimmer:
- Walk around the area and remove any obstructions.
- If you have never mowed with an electric trimmer or are using one for the first time, draw a plan of the area and determine the best path to follow so that the extension cord is always behind you.
- Check the extension cord, get it wet, and set it up in the area according to your driving plan.
- Wear the correct gear, and don’t forget safety glasses or a mask. Make sure no part of your clothing hangs up.
- Check the trimmer, install the appropriate cutting tool section. If everything is okay, plug the extension cord into the mains and connect it to the power flow.
- Stand on the edge of the site and make sure no one is standing near you.
- Turn on the electric motor.
- Tilt it so that the cutting tool rotates parallel to the floor and the grass is cut at the desired height.
- Use your whole body or just your hands to turn the trimmer to the left and right, using yourself as the axle. Depending on the height and density of the grass, it takes 1 to 3 seconds for each circle.
- After each turn from the leftmost position to the rightmost position and vice versa, move forward 1-10 cm. The distance depends on the parameters of the grass, engine power and its capabilities. Skill.
- Listen to the sound of the engine running, if it changes while mowing the grass, then you either went too far or turned too fast to the right.
- After the time specified in the instruction manual, leave the mains switch free and then disconnect it from the extension cord. Inspect the trimmer, check the condition of the vents and the amount of grass on the inside of the protective screen and housing in the motor or in the motor itself. Assume that it is barely perceptible. If your hand feels hot or cannot be held on the housing/motor for long, stop mowing and bring the unit to service for a condition check.
- If all is well, wait 10-15 minutes for the motor to cool down and continue mowing.
- Unplug the trimmer and clean it thoroughly. Check all fasteners and vent windows by hand and check the temperature of the engine. After overheating, make sure you have not exceeded the allowable operating time or excessive loads, and bring the unit to service for inspection and repair. If overheating is caused by overloading or working too long, don’t let it go unnoticed, monitor the temperature carefully and take the electric car to service at the first sign of overheating.
- When the mowing season comes to an end, clean the device from the remains of grass and remove it to a dry ventilated room, take the extension cord there as well.
What not to do?
Remember that an electric lawnmower is not a lawnmower, it cannot automatically maintain a constant cutting height relative to the floor and therefore should not be used for mowing well-maintained lawns.
After all, every carelessness leads to a change in mowing height and therefore to a disturbance of the landscape.
Therefore, only use an electric trimmer where differences in the height of the cutting surface are acceptable.
Due to their low performance and design features, electric trimmers are not well suited for mowing dense weeds or tall wild grass. Use a gasoline trimmer or litauer for this job.
Never use an electric trimmer to mow wet grass, it is dangerous for you and for you. You can read more about why this tool should not mow wet grass here.
Storage and maintenance
Store the trimmer in a dry place by folding or hanging it according to the instructions. Maintenance depends on the location of the engine, in models where the engine is located below, just check the manifold brushes and replace if necessary.
If the motor is installed above, proceed as follows:
- Thoroughly clean grass residue from the gearbox after the season is over.
- Disconnect the gearbox from the boom, and then grease the gearbox and outer shaft. Remember that there are sockets in the shelf that serve as a lager, so they should be well greased for long life. If you don’t know how to do this or what kind of grease to use, read the instruction manual or bring the unit to service.
- Separate the motor from the boom and put grease on it.
- Reconnect the trimmer to keep the dust off the shaft.
Steps 2-4 can be performed before or after the season is over. The important thing is to have all the friction elements filled with grease when you start.
If you want your trimmer to last for many years, be sure to check the condition of the motor magazines, but this action requires skill and experience.
On machines with a lower shaft, remove the cutting tool and turn the shaft with your fingers, it should rotate almost effortlessly for at least one second after turning.
On trimmers with an upper shaft, check the motor while lubricating the pole. If the motor spins with force or stops immediately after turning, then the bearings are dry and need to be lubricated or replaced. Also remember to check the wave play on all levels, if play is present, replace the bearings.
This video shows how to start an electric mower using a FUBAC machine as an example:
How to use an electric scythe for continuous operation and personal safety:
The following video shows the operation of a trimmer with a fishing line, and the nuances described are also relevant when analyzing how to use an electric trimmer with a similar cutting element:
Electric trimmer effectively mows well-groomed or low wild grass, but the quality of mowing and service life of this tool directly depends on how properly you use it.
And this applies not only to mowing the lawn with an electric trimmer, but also the care of this device, as neglecting the necessary measures leads to the rapid failure of the electric mower.