The country’s first 8 things to do in the spring
Gardeners know that spring until deep autumn or the garden does not allow themselves to forget about themselves. And only in winter can you relax. But as soon as the first spring warmth arrives, gardeners take their places.
As soon as the sun starts to warm up in the spring, you can start gardening, even if the snow hasn’t melted everywhere yet. You can name 8 urgent things to do before the main site work begins in early spring.
Clean up the house and the site
Both the house and the site were cluttered over the winter, so you need to start the new season with a general cleanup. Make mattresses, pillows, blankets, rugs-it should be taken outside, warmed in the sun, and dried in the first warm breeze. Then there will be no mold, damp, fungus or even insects in the house.
Don’t forget about the site. As soon as the snow comes off, you should immediately clean the site of leaves, dry grass and household debris. Even if the cleanup was done in the fall, a lot of debris has been blown by the wind and will have to be cleaned up in the winter.
Trim the trees and shrubs
Before the sap starts to run heavy, you need to trim bushes and trees. Prune broken, weakened branches, branches that grow inside the bush or have crowns that interfere with other branches.
Pruning should be done with a sharp tool, not maiming and not healthy branches. Large stumps and cracks in the trunks should be caulked with garden cards. Then put hunting belts on the trunks and “meet” uninvited guests.
8 tips for preparing your garden for winter
Remove overwintering roses.
Gardeners who grow roses know that winterizing roses is not as bad for these plants as failing to bring roses out of “hibernation.” Very often, the spring sun starts to heat up rose branches and the buds on them begin to swell quickly. This is very bad. The sun only heats the branches, the buds swell, but the roots themselves remain in the icy ground, which has not thawed. And the plant dies. This phenomenon is called biological burning.
To prevent it, it is necessary as early as possible (as the ground thaws) to unscrew the floor from the bedding circles of rose bushes and cover all the bushes with a covering material. As a result, the soil gradually thaws, and the branches do not get too hot from the sun, and the buds swell only when all the roots are hidden and the plant can feed.
Preparing the greenhouses
Greenhouses get overcrowded over the winter, which means the sun doesn’t get through them well. They have to be washed inside and out, sprayed with insect repellents, and the ground in the greenhouse has to be turned over. To consider that the soil has been used, the top layer can be renewed, and if not possible, fertilizer can be applied.
At the same time, beds can already be prepared for new plants. Particular attention should be paid to the “warm” beds. They can already be filled with branches, old leaves, compost. Then you should cover everything with black film and go into the warmth. Experienced gardeners believe that such a “warm” bed is ready when mushrooms grow under the film. Thus, the plants no longer burn. Conventional beds need to be re-cultivated and fertilized.
6 ways to use old window frames in the cottage
Trees should also be grafted before the sap appears on the trunk and branches. Therefore, you should hurry up.
After a general cleaning of the whole plot, there will be a pile of old leaves, cut branches from bushes in the yard, dry grass. And all these are invaluable components for the compost heap. The only thing to pay attention to: you can not put branches and leaves of sick plants in the compost.
The first plantings
As soon as the floor is at the right depth, you need to plant sprouts of shrubs and trees. And if the floor warms up more than 5 degrees, you can continue planting. Gardeners can safely plant:
- Many flower crops.
Snow is not everywhere at the beginning of spring, but there are many things that should be abundant at this time. The most important thing is to properly plan all the work on the plot. Then the agricultural work will bring only pleasure.
Spring work in the garden and vegetable garden
Spring is the hottest time for gardeners. At this time of year, the highlight must be the work on the site. And in order to be in time, it is important to work according to a plan. Let’s figure out what needs to be done on the dacha at the beginning of the season.
What to do on the plot in March?
Sow seeds for seedlings. In early March, you can sow medium and early varieties of peppers and eggplants for seedlings. You do not like transplanting, so it is better to immediately sow the seeds in individual cups.
At the end of March, you can sow late and medium-early seasonal varieties of tomatoes (1). They, on the contrary, like transplanting and picking, so they can be sown in boxes or containers.
You can also sow seedling flowers – annual asters, verbs, delphinium, gatzania, Chinese carnation, helichrysum, lovage, lobelia, lion’s seed, petunia, sage, fragrant tobacco.
Prune fruit trees and berry bushes. Any pruning can be done in March – sanitary, educational, rejuvenating. It is better to do it in the first half of the month (2), so that the wounds will heal before the flow of SAP.
Insert germination of Dahlia tubers. They can be planted in the flower bed in late May, and will bloom much sooner than if they were planted in the ground immediately. You can also cut and reclaim green cuttings from Dahlia and thus save more planting material.
Prepare the greenhouse for the upcoming season. Here’s a list of chores that are important to do before you start putting plants in the greenhouse:
- Check the strength of the structure easily somewhere unscrewed nuts; If metal structures are rusted, they need to be cleaned and painted;
- Wash the windows – this increases the light in the greenhouse by 30%.
- Disassemble the floor – water it with burgundy liquid or copper sulfate as directed;
- Apply fertilizer to the floor – preferably humus or compost;
- Insulate the beds – cover them with black film or water them with hot water.
What to do at the site in April?
Transplant fruit trees. In April, trees can be grafted in any way, but most often behind the bark, split, fence and improved copulation (3). And for grafting to take root, it is important to observe the main condition: the stock (grafted plant) must be active, with swollen buds, and the ceiling (grafted cuttings) – dormant.
Treatment of trees and shrubs against diseases and pests. Three sprays should be done in the spring:
- Before burgundy or Hom preparations from the buds, diseases of most diseases are eliminated.
- At the appearance of the first leaves – with Fufanon this treatment is only for berry shrubs – it helps to kill mites;
- When buds appear – Fufanon at this time should be sprayed both trees and shrubs – this treatment will get rid of most pests.
Fertilize the garden. In spring, plants begin to grow actively, so they need nitrogen. The timing and speed of fertilizing depends on the crop:
- Spray apples and pears – in the last days of April: 3 cups of urea – by the diameter of the crown and water;
- Currants – at the beginning of budding: 2 tablespoons. Spoons of ammonium nitrate per 10 liters of water, the rate – 1 bucket per bush;
- Gooseberry – when the leaves begin to blossom: 2 tablespoons. A spoonful of nitrophoska and 1 tablespoon. One spoonful of umbrella per 10 liters of water, the norm – 2 buckets per bush;
- Raspberries – middle of April: 3 tablespoons. Spoons of urea per 1 sq. m, spread between the rows and put into the ground with a rake.
Planting seedlings. The middle of April is the ideal time for planting absolutely all trees and shrubs: both fruit and berry and ornamental plants.
Hardy plants are sown. At the end of April you can sow:
- Vegetables – carrots, beets, peas, beans, lentils, beets and beets, borage, mustard, all kinds of cabbage, all kinds of onions, watercress, radishes, beets, parsnips, rhubarb, arugula, lettuce, spinach;
- Spiced herbs – anise, hyssop, coriander, catnip, lophanthus, lovage, monard, mint, parsley, dill, celery, thyme, cumin, fennel;
- flowers – aquilegia, amaranth, anagalis, aster, cosmea, lichen, lupine, foxglove, calendula.
Plant vegetables for seedlings. In early April, early varieties of tomatoes. At the end of the month – cucumbers, watermelons, melons, pumpkins, zucchini and gourds, lagenaria, late varieties of corn.
Plant seedlings in greenhouses. In April, you can safely plant tomatoes, peppers, eggplants and cucumbers in greenhouses.
Germinate potato tubers. This should be done two weeks before planting – in mid-April. The tubers should germinate in a cool but bright room.
Show roses, clematis and grapes. Covers should be removed gradually – open them several days in a row only for one day, and if the plants are used to it, you can remove the protection completely.
What to do at the site in May
Feed the garden. Some trees and shrubs need feeding during flowering:
- Apple trees and pear trees at the beginning of flowering: 3 tablespoons. A spoonful of superphosphate and 2 tablespoons. Spoonfuls of urea per 10 water, the rate is 4 – 5 buckets per tree;
- Plum – at the beginning of flowering: 2 tablespoons. Spoonfuls of urea and 2 tablespoons. A tablespoon of potassium sulfate per 10 liters of water, the rate is 3 buckets per tree;
- Cherry trees – After flowering: 5 liters of uterine candle (diluted 1:10) and 10 cups of ash per 50 liters of water, the rate is 1 bucket per tree;
- Gooseberry – At the beginning of flowering: 1 tablespoon. One spoonful of potassium sulfate per 10 liters of water, the norm – 3 buckets per bush.
Plant potatoes. The best time for planting tubers – from 1 to 10 May. In each hole when planting it makes sense to add 1 tablespoon. spoon of superphosphate – this fertilizer protects the crop from the wireworm.
Planted seedlings. After May 10, tomatoes, peppers and eggplants can be planted in beds, but provided they are covered with fleece.
Sow heat-loving vegetables. You can plant beans in the garden during the first maidecade. After May 25, you can sow cucumbers, watermelons, melons, pumpkins, zucchini and gourds and corn in the beds.
Plant heat-loving flowers. You can plant tubes of gladiolus, dahlia tubers, cannes and calla lilies in late May.
Popular Questions and Answers
It’s important not to miss out on what’s turned out in the garden and vegetable garden in the spring. We talked to sector agronomist Svetlana Mikhailova.
Does the vegetable garden need to be tilled in the spring?
If you haven’t done this in the fall, it is essential. Ditching will sink the floor that has condensed over the winter and oxygenate it. In addition, you need to dig the fertilizer, such as humus and ash.
If the vegetable garden was dug up in the fall, it should be reseeded in April with a rake.
Is it possible to apply fresh manure to the beds in the spring?
Absolutely not! Fresh manure has a high concentration of ammonia, it burns the roots of plants. Fertilizer is introduced into the garden only in autumn, under the digging of the plot – over the winter the excess ammonia will volatilize, and the fertilizer becomes safe in the spring.
Is it necessary to clean the bird feeders in spring?
This should be done as early as possible – at the beginning of March. To do this, the bird house needs to be removed, the lid opened, and the bird nesting in the tree again.