Rolled lawns. Why are they better than regular lawns? In Nelo’s Place.
In recent years, rolled lawns have become an increasingly popular choice among suburban homeowners. And there are several reasons for this:
- With rolled lawns, you can create a lawn on your property almost instantly. There’s no need to wait weeks for the grass to go down, take care of it, water it, and eventually find out something went wrong. With rolled turf, you immediately get the effect of a well-maintained green garden on the property. Remember, however, that it takes about 2-3 weeks for the grass in the roll to take root, and during this time, you can’t mow the lawn or use it intensively.
- minimum problems. In contrast to growing your own lawn (and this is painstaking work), laying a lawn will be much easier and faster. But before this, of course, it is important to properly prepare the soil surface (digging, compacting, watering, etc.). The grass bales are usually the same size, and when they are laid they need to be offset against each other and to make sure there are no gaps.
- The possibility of making a lawn on a slope. When making a self-grown lawn on a slope or hill, there is a risk that the grass will grow unevenly, or the grass seeds will simply get caught in the rain or when watering. Rolled lawns won’t have that problem.
- Rolled lawns are more resilient. They are less diseased and better able to withstand the effects of an aggressive environment (pests, drastic temperature changes, rainfall, wind, etc.). This is due to the fact that for them are already selected appropriate types of grass and soil, appropriate to the climatic conditions of your area.
- Possibility to arrange a lawn practically at any time of the year. Rolled turf can be laid in November, as the grass from the roll does not require much time for taking root.
- Prevent soil erosion on slopes. A little known fact, however, turf lawns can effectively protect the fertile soil layer on your property when it has gradients.
- Finally: they look great, the grass on them is even and thick. Again, thanks to properly selected grass seeds and soil as a result of numerous studies and experiments.
As for the disadvantages of such lawns, it may just be the price. By repeatedly winning once, you gain, and more importantly, time (for lawn expansion).
This is especially important if you plan to start improving the site in the fall or early spring – at this time you can not sow grass seed, and laying turf – you can! All because turf in rolls better withstands frost. It usually has a stronger root system and is less susceptible to overpressure.
As for the choice of turf, all manufacturers have about the same characteristics. However, it is important that the laying be done correctly – so it is better to contact special companies. Believe me, lawn mowers know a lot more about the specifics of this work.
Lawn laying. What needs to be taken into account?
When carrying out such work, many things are taken into account. For example:
- Lawn grasses grow best on slightly acidic (pH 5.5-6.5), light and humus floors. If the floor is too acidic, it should be sprinkled with lime or chalk, if clay – add sand, and if sandy – compost;
- Rolled turf does not take root on sterile soil. Therefore, it should be planted on chernozem or other fertile soil with a thickness of at least 8-10 cm;
- It is important to choose the right fertilizer for the lawn. They should be applied to the soil 2-3 weeks before sowing;
- The surface under the lawn should be well levelled and compacted;
- It is best to create a lawn immediately after planting in rolls and do all the work in 1 day, maximum 2. Otherwise, prolonged storage of the lawn in the rolls can lead to its destruction (even if the rolls are stored. in the shade, not on top of each other);
- As practice shows, 1 worker can lay an average of 100 square meters of turf in a day (this is quite a laborious and tedious work);
- All rollers should be laid close to each other, and their joints in adjacent rows should pass like brick seams in a wall. They should also point in the same direction – to make the lawn look flat;
- Once several strips of grass have been laid, they should be lightly pressed to the floor with a rake or wooden compressor so that no air bubbles remain underneath;
- As the final step, the edges are trimmed to give the lawn the shape you want. The cut areas are covered with soil to protect the edges from drying out. The lawn is leveled with rollers and then everything is watered liberally;
- After watering in some places there may be gaps between the patches: they should be filled with peat and supplemented with lawn cuttings or seeded with grass mixture.
When can I run on rolled turf?
After laying rolled turf, it is advisable to let it stand for a few days. Of course, you can start running on it the next day, but intensive use is not recommended (it is better to wait 5-7 days).
The fact is that the grass and its roots are still too weak at this time, because at this point they are taking root in a new place. In addition, they are still quite dry and need to be watered abundantly, so that they become more robust and strong.
How do you calculate how many lawns you need per site?
It’s easy. Just measure the sides of your lot where you want to place your lawn and multiply – that’s how you get the area of your future lawn.
Note, the larger the area, the cheaper the price per roll. In addition, rolls for flat terrain cost less than rolls designed for laying on slopes and hills.
Experts recommend buying turf with a small margin – about 5% more than the result of calculations. This is advisable if you made a mistake in the calculations or you need a more beautiful fit to the rolls.
How do you know if a grass bale is of good quality?
A good quality lawn should have a rich green color, be free of weeds, diseases and pests, and have dense white roots.
It is also desirable that all grasses have the same size (which makes laying and even spilling the soil uniform). The neck of the grass should also not fall apart when pulled at one end (otherwise it means the lawn will warp and take longer to take root on your side).
Don’t forget to add the NEMO site to your bookmarks. We talk about construction, renovation, and suburban real estate in interesting, helpful, and easy-to-understand language.
When it is better to plant a lawn in autumn or spring
When it is better to plant a lawn in autumn or spring
In the last article I would like to talk a little bit about roll lawns and how to create a new lawn on your site.
Rolled lawns. Laying.
Is it possible to lay your own lawn? The answer is – you can! And the process is very simple.
In order to lay the lawn in its place, you must first carefully prepare the floor surface. The surface of the floor must be perfectly flat, compacted and cleared of debris (stones, branches). To improve the physical properties of the soil, it can be improved – add compost or sand and firmly roll the floor with a roller. Next, make a starter fertilizer with a predominance of phosphorus. Phosphorus will promote growth and development of crops.
The beds should be weed-free, fresh and dense. Determine the roles, with no gaps between them. If the rolls are uneven when laid, cut their stony spots. Ginger hard. The lawn should be watered liberally for two weeks to get the best use out of it. This is necessary for better rooting of the lawn. After that, the first mowing of the lawn can be done after one week.
Lay out your new lawn.
Creating a lawn on your site is time-consuming and not quick. The quality of your future lawn depends on its persistence and your willingness and proper application of knowledge to create it.
Laying a new kit lawn can be done in the middle of the auto from early spring. However, the best period for its creation is spring or autumn, when the average temperature is above 10 degrees.
Before sowing a new lawn, you need to carefully plan the area, the floor should be of uniform consistency. Dig over the surface and vote. The seeds can be sown and covered with a rake, but I suggest another method: Sow the seeds in a small layer, and then cover the floor with a layer of 1-2 cm. Water a little every day, especially in hot weather. It is strictly forbidden to move to a young lawn until the young lawn has grown strong.
Plant your lawn in the spring. Choosing the best time for a lawn by role
In physical terms, there are five rules of thumb, compliance with which allows you to create a site with a grass cover with minimal material investment, time and labor costs. Based on the rules listed below, you can choose the best time for the installation of lawn cover, taking into account the climatic characteristics of your region.
- It is advisable to sow your lawn within 2 years. Seeding for roll coverings is most often done in spring or fall. In late April or early May, you can buy turf with optimum maturity.
- Rolled turf does not withstand prolonged storage. It is important to lay turf in the first days after delivery, otherwise the turf will deteriorate. Even with the right storage conditions, the grass begins to dry out, brown out, the root system weakens and the lawn cover “thins out”.
- In heat and drought lawn cover “lives” no more than one day. So in regions with a hot early spring, you can safely postpone planting lawns to early April. For better acclimatization of the rolls, it is necessary to determine them before laying in a shady place, where they should be sprayed with water every 3-5 hours to maintain humidity.
- The edges of the turf should not crumble. Crumbling edges and tears indicate improper storage or transportation. You can try to preserve the grass by spreading and watering the rolls on a flat surface for 5-6 hours.
- Plants planted in the ground naturally warm up, take root, and grow better. Hence the advice to lay lawns in May and June. But in southern regions, the soil may be overmolded by this time, and in northern regions, it may be colder. Accordingly, the bottom of the soil and average daily temperature is allowed to shift by 3-5 weeks.
What time of year is better to plant a lawn. When is the best time to plant a lawn?
The timing of lawn laying work is limited by weather conditions and the availability of material on sale. Spring seems to be the best time, but it is unlikely that an area can be designated during this period.
Although spring work is welcome from a biological process standpoint, the problem is the inability to purchase the material yourself.
Early spring lawns simply do not exist, the reasons are not difficult to guess: winter frosts do not affect the appearance of the green cover, the grass cover, due to frost penetration, partially or completely dies. Its appearance becomes unpresentable.
In order to restore the attractive appearance, growers should comb the dried grasses well, usually this occurs in March. During this period, the young shoots have not yet emerged, and the old ones are combed out quite easily.
It will also take time for the grasses to be fully covered, and fertilizer is applied during this period. When the greens grow quite tall, they are carefully cut off. Only after these processes is the cover considered ready for sale.
If you consider the length of winter in the middle belt and the duration of the recovery period, and it is from a month and a half, the beginning of sales usually coincides with the beginning of May. After a warm winter or early spring, legal trade may begin in mid-April.
If you don’t really feel like greening your lawn, you can find a manufacturer that sells turf earlier.
However, such a lawn is unlikely to have a sufficiently attractive appearance.
Experts recommend planning the work for May. If the site is carefully prepared for laying, then one or two days is enough to turn it into an emerald lawn.
The appropriate time to carry out the work is considered summer. Grass is actively growing during this period, the acquired coverage looks perfect. Of course, if the temperature outside is more than + 30 c, then it is desirable to carry out the work in a short time. It is necessary to distribute the rolls immediately after purchase, and then carefully pour water.
Laying can be planned for the fall, since the heat has subsided, it is easier to work, and the grass takes root more easily. You can lay the turf all fall until frost arrives.
Lawn thickness. Rolled lawn: laying technology
Arrangement of the adjacent territory with well-groomed lawns has not gone out of fashion for many centuries. However, few people know that growing a lawn from scratch is a long and thorough process. First, you need to choose the right seed mix, depending on the purpose and terrain. Then carefully prepare the bottom of the plot.
Spread fertiliser evenly (around 50 grammes per m2) and take care of it for 1 to 1.5 years until the lawn has become attractive. That’s when you approach the issue classically. But lucky for impatient people, lawns can be bought ready-made and in a month you can have a picnic on green grass.
Functions and device
Ready-made turf is a layer of lawn with an average area of 0.8 m2. In contrast to the classic, it is grown in special gardens for one and a half to three years. This period is long enough to form a permanently intertwined root system that can withstand mowing and replanting. More often than not, ready-made lawn can be found in rolls. This is the most convenient way of transportation, with which you can also keep the roots moist.
Lawn turf size depends on its purpose. For example, for dacha parks use rolls of standard size 48 cm wide and 1-2 m long. For areas with a large area such as stadiums, sports fields, you can order layers up to 1 m wide and up to 15 m long. The thickness of the cut in both cases is from 2 to 4 cm.
The advantages of turf are obvious:
- uniform, thick grass cover on the construction site in one month;
- uniformity in maintenance and resistance to temperature fluctuations;
- Tightly intertwined root system suppresses weed growth;
- Cover is easily repaired in case of damage. It is enough to cut the deformed area and replace it completely.
The main disadvantage is the need for early delivery and installation of the cover to the future habitat. Recycling increases the likelihood of uneven roots or death. If the area is too large and it is impossible to finish laying on the same day, the rolls must be expanded and watered.
There are different types of lawns:
- Soil lawn is the fanciest type, which is used to decorate front lawns (main alleys, front yard area). He has a smooth velvety surface due to the narrow – prefabricated and low-growing grains. In such a coating, heterogeneity of color and butterflies is not allowed. One of the most important stages of its laying is the preparation of the soil (cultivation, destruction of weeds). Stable coverage requires regular feeding and mowing, daily, but moderate watering.
- Sports lawn is designed for increased loads. For its creation, varieties that are most often resistant to damage and trampling are used.
- Universal lawn. It is the one found in parks, gardens and fields, as its name suggests. He is durable, beautiful, resistant to various temperatures and damage, unpretentious in care.
- Shade lawn. Due to the properties of shade grasses, which are part of the shade tolerant grass, it can cover shaded areas of gardens and parks. It tolerates high humidity well and does not require frequent mowing.
How to choose?
The choice of lawn cover should be approached with special care, because the appearance of the arranged site depends on it. If you know some nuances, you can get out of a failed purchase:
- It is necessary to have technical documents reflecting quality control, as well as the location of the nursery.
- A visual inspection of the cut will tell you a lot about the lawn. A thick uniform thickness along the entire length, a dense weave of roots without gaps, the absence of breakage and other deformations when shaken is a sign of a quality product. The presence of young roots will be a big plus (distinguished by its white color). This means that the grass will take root faster after transplanting.
- Appearance is also important. Militia with a lot of weeds, yellowed areas or profanities should be avoided. The cover should be a uniform color, from dark green to emerald, with a density of 100 shoots per 10 cm2. Another indicator is the height of the grass. If it is less than 3 cm, the manufacturer, most likely, tried to hide flaws.
This article is largely or entirely based on unauthorized sources, which may raise doubts about the neutrality and verification of the information presented. Such sources also do not show the importance of the article’s topic.
The article can be improved by using sources on the topic.
Rolled lawn is a gas grass, which is grown by sowing seeds into special mats of loose structure made of plants or artificial fiber. Ready lawn is conveniently equipped with rolls for transportation. For efficient transportation the bales are placed on pallets. One pallet holds 63 rolls with an area of 50 m2.
Turf unfolded: The connections between the bales are clearly visible.
Today Ramsa grass is the most technologically advanced and efficient type of lawn design. Lawn is grown on special fields, from which the rolls are delivered to every place where it is planned. Laying the ready lawn can take several hours.
On the field in a narrow gap. This method of planting ensures density. For sowing, those grasses are selected that are most optimal for the place of future lawn growth, as well as winter-hardy and resistant to disease and drought.
Lawn is grown on special garden plots for at least two years, after which it is ready to be cut. Lawn cut and rolled up into buns cannot be stored for more than one day.
For laying the ready lawn you will need the following equipment: a wheelbarrow, a rake, a bayonet shovel and a lawn roller. Lawn in Roll is laid on a fertile layer, dense, connecting with the transition in a staggered pattern, but so that one layer does not overlap the other. After laying the lawn, it is necessary to spread the garden railroad and water it abundantly. The recommended rate of watering is 10 to 20 liters per 1 m 2.
You can walk on such a lawn immediately after laying. Lawn requires regular care: watering and mowing, then it will not have problems for a long time. Particular attention should be paid to the lawn in the first month of operation. Lawn grass growth of more than 15 cm is not allowed. During this period, it is required from the root system.
Lawn fertilizers should be applied regularly, according to the basic rule: nitrogen fertilizers in spring, summer fertilizers in summer, phosphorus-potassium fertilizers in autumn. The efficiency of fertilizer application depends on the composition of lawn grass, soil features, age of the lawn, as well as on methods and conditions of fertilizer application. The best results are achieved with proper and timely fertilization.
The default size of the roll is as follows:
The width of the roll strip is 0.4 m,
The length of the roll strip is 2.0 m,
The thickness of the roll strip is 15-20 mm (1.5-2.0 cm).
The area of the roll track is 0.80 sq. m.
- ↑ turf care
- Rolled lawn (Russian). Gazon-Trava.ru.
- Self laying ready lawn
- Kirill Green. Rolled lawn (unpublished).
- Rolled Lawn | Lawn Care (Russian). www.roll-grass.ru. November 4, 2018.
Laying the lawn. Rolled lawn: how to lay it yourself
Turf lawn has many advantages compared to seeded lawn grass. This type of grass cover is characterized by the ease of maintenance and quick installation. With turf grass in rolls, you can make large areas green in a few days. English turf has an attractive appearance and will last a long time if properly cared for. The lawn is self-laying, so the grass quickly takes root.
The structure of rolled lawns
Rolled lawns are made from meshed bases and trim. As a rule, the grass is sold in rolls of 0.8 m2. Coverage length is within 2 m, width 40-45 cm, thickness from 20 to 25 mm. The weight of one roll is 15-17 kg. Due to the lightness, the site owner can roll up the rolls on the site himself.
When choosing a lawn cover, it is best to settle on reputable manufacturers who produce quality products. As a rule, cheap lawn counterparts are of low quality, and their service life is minimal.
Rolled lawns are often used for urgent landscaping of dachas. With the help of such a landscape, it is possible to effectively arrange artificial hills on yard and garden paths, the territory near swimming pools.
Preparing the soil for laying
Painting the lawn with their own hands – the process is not complicated. Having no time before deciding on an English lawn, prepare the future site. English lawn should be laid immediately after purchase. If you delay this period a little, the grass roots will become weak and will not be able to take root. In order for the roots to take root evenly and get a perfectly even lawn, you need to lay all the purchased rolls on the same day.
Rolled lawn – what is it, description, features
Important! Making a base for the floor is considered an important front of work, which should be performed in advance. By treating the soil well, you can speed up the process of removing the turf.
Preparing the ground for laying the lawn with your own hands is carried out in stages:
- Clean the area where it is planned to lay the rolls, and dig over the ground. The top layer of soil is cleared of debris and weeds. During digging, the root system of weeds is removed. It is very important to approach this stage of the work carefully, as weeds can break through the lawn and spoil the appearance of the green area. Removing weeds from the roll will be very problematic.
- Creating drainage systems. Lawn grass does not require a lot of soil moisture. Therefore, it is important to equip drainage in deep areas and areas with high clay content. To do this, the fertile layer of soil is cut to a depth of 35-38 cm and removed with a wheelbarrow a few meters from the intended lawn. The resulting hole should be filled with a cushion of sand and gravel. It is necessary to have 10-12 cm of gravel and the same amount of sand. If desired the sand can be replaced with geotextile. After you tamp down the construction site, you can bring the far layer of earth and distribute it flush with the total volume of the entire construction site. For simplicity, you can pull a cord. To do this, plants are hammered into the corners of the site and ropes are stretched over it at surface level. If you spread the cushion in this way, you can clearly see where you need to remove the earth layer lines and where you need to add.
- Lawn fertilizer is scattered over the floor. The construction site should be well compacted with a homemade roller or a wide board with a flat surface. To check the quality of compaction of the ground, you need to step on the floor with your foot. If it squeezes with your foot, then the tamping has been done poorly.