How to grow onions for greens?
Onions are often used to prepare various dishes. He is rich in useful microelements and vitamins, and also does not give any trouble. Therefore, your gardener will be able to breed it both in the dacha and in his apartment.
Choose a variety
For growing young greens, you can use different varieties of onions, mostly the usual onions. Choose strong multi-stemmed varieties for planting. Cut neatly such an onion, inside you can see the bases of several green sprouts at once. The following varieties of green onions are suitable for planting.
- “Arzamassky”. This onion is in mid-season. It has juicy greens and dense light bulbs. It is not afraid of cold weather and does not need special care. But it needs to be protected from onion flies and mold.
- “Spassky local”. Such an onion is also suitable for growing greens. It is resistant to cold and drought. It is profitable to grow not only for food, but also for sale.
- “Chernigovsky-4”. This variety belongs to the category of medium-late. If you plant it on your plot, you can count on the fact that the greens will withstand the strongest frosts. It is also characterized by cold tolerance. However, it is also not afraid of the most frequent diseases. Therefore, its popularity is very rare.
Suitable for breeding and onion batun, which is also called winter or turnip. It is worth growing for a long time. In this case, the harvest can be harvested several times per season.
The following varieties of onion should be used for planting on the plot.
- “April”. The lifespan of this perennial variety is five to six years. It has excellent immunity. Juicy bulbs can be used both fresh and dried.
- “Barnon. This variety is ultra-early. The harvest can be harvested a few weeks after the first sprouts appear. These plants do not suffer from low temperatures and drought. Immunity is quite strong.
- “Emerald. This plant is a mixture of butternut and common onions. Green covers appear very early. This variety is resistant to cold and various diseases.
- “Seryozha”. This kind of onion can be grown in all cities of Russia. He is early and quite productive. Most diseases do not pose a danger.
- “Russian”. This variety is annual. At the same time, it bears very good fruit. After the gardener plants it on the plot, he can count on a good harvest. It is possible to grow such an onion in cold regions, as it is not afraid of temperature changes.
Lovers of juicy and fragrant greens should pay attention to schnatt, which is also called rezanets. The length of its leaves is in the range of 50 centimeters. They are narrow and slightly showy around the edges. The cutane blooms in the second half of summer. At this time it becomes a real decoration of the plot.
Common varieties of such an arch are ‘bohemia’, ‘honey plant’ and ‘chemem’. They all have good yields and are not afraid of the most frequent diseases.
Leeks, also called pearl leeks, are also planted for feathering. Its leaves are similar in appearance to the leaves of young garlic. Such an onion is quite large and powerful. Therefore, it is recommended to plant it in beds, not in any containers. The following varieties are best suited for planting.
- “Casimir”. This kind of onion is recommended to grow sprouts, since it matures for quite a long time. Young plants are not afraid of pests and common diseases. The yield of this onion is very good.
- “Winner”. This kind of onion can be planted for a year or used as a perennial. It is valued for its good immunity and resistance to cold. Such onions are grown in most regions of the country.
- “Elephant”. This is another late variety of onion. The harvest can be harvested in 170-190 days after planting the seeds. The yield is very good. But it needs proper care.
Those who do not want to spend a lot of time on the care of greens, you should pay attention to shallot. It has a high yield. The most popular are the varieties listed below.
- “Vitamin Box” This variety is designed for imposing green feathers. It can be grown not only in vegetable garden beds, but also in modern indoor greenhouses. Gardeners begin harvesting the greens in the spring. Its consumption helps to provide the body with plenty of vitamins.
- “Sophocles”. This variety of onion is medium-ripening. He is valued for its pleasant taste and resistance to the most common diseases. It matures within a month and a half to two months.
- “Fortress”. This shallot variety is resistant to all types of rot. It is medium-late and frost-resistant. A large number of fruits can be harvested from one bush.
It is suitable for growing on feathers and slime. It can be recognized by its slightly flattened, broad leaves. They smell like garlic and have a slightly spicy aftertaste. Gardeners appreciate it for its high yields and resistance to cold. If you create the right conditions for it, such a bulb will grow all year round.
Choosing a slug, pay attention to such varieties as Green, Dwarf and Leader. They bear excellent fruit.
You can cut the green foliage from them several times a season.
Suitable for baking vegetables and multi-story or Egyptian onions. From these bushes you can collect a lot of greens. Most varieties are medium-ripening. They do not need special care. The following varieties are suitable for planting on a small plot.
- “Likova.” This is an early maturing variety that gives a decent yield. It grows well on both lighted plots and in the shade. The disadvantage of this plant is that it is often attacked by thrips.
- “Chelyabinskiy”. This variety is also an early maturing one. It matures in just three weeks from the time of planting. Diseases affect it very rarely. In one season from one bush you can collect a large number of greens.
- “Memory”. This variety has good immunity and is not afraid of cold weather. Greens are suitable for preparing a variety of dishes, as they have a pleasant taste and rich flavor.
All these varieties of onions are easy to find on sale. Any gardener can grow them.
Onions can be planted at any time of the year. If the plants are grown in modern greenhouses, it is also possible in the cold season.
Sowing is done in the garden in the spring. The time of growing onions depends on the characteristics of the region. Usually gardeners wait until the ground warms up to 6-7 degrees. This occurs in the second half of April or early May. Some gardeners, choosing favorable days for planting onions, rely on the lunar calendar. This helps to find the most appropriate time for sowing.
In order to harvest more fresh herbs from the plot, gardeners can plant onions several more times over the summer.
Preparing for planting
The process of preparing onions for planting doesn’t take long.
If you plan to grow greens for the spring, it is important to choose the right place to place the seeds. It should be sunny and well protected from the wind. In such conditions, onions grow quickly and stay green and juicy. It is recommended to plant the heads where the nightshade or different types of cabbage grew.
Preparing the bed before planting the seeds is very simple. In the fall, it is recultivated and fertilized with humus. A few days before planting onions, the floor should be loosened and leveled.
Seeds also require additional preparation. First you need to select bulbs of equal size. Heads with cracks, spots or traces of mold and rot should be discarded.
Next, the selected planting material should be disinfected. To do this, you can use potassium dressing or a solution of salt water with the addition of a biostimulant. Bulbs should be immersed in it for several hours. After such treatment, they are well dried. Bulb plants can be affected by false mold. You can protect onions from this disease by warming them well. Onions should be wrapped in a cloth, and then left overnight in a warm place.
For fast growth, some gardeners cut off the top of the onion. In this case, oxygen gets to the germs of the leaves faster. You can also make a few cuts too deep on the surface of the vegetables. Another way to speed up the growth of onions is to warm them up. The plant material can simply be piled in a pile, then poured over with warm water and covered with linen sacking. In this form, it is left for several days.
How to plant and care for outside?
There are two ways to place onions on the plot. Each of them has its own merits.
- Ribbon. This method is suitable for beginner gardeners. To grow onions from seeds, several deep furrows are dug in the garden. The distance between individual rows should be 15-20 centimeters, between bulbs – 5-6 centimeters. The latter do not go deep into the ground very much. On top, they are covered with a small amount of fertile soil.
- Bridge. This scheme is suitable for those who want to grow vegetables for sale. Small bulbs are placed as close as possible. It is not necessary to make furrows. Bulbs are placed directly on the floor and slightly deepen their edges into the ground. The sprouts will be very thick. In order to ensure that the plants get enough nutrients, after the first leaves appear, they should be thinned on the plot. In this way it is very easy to grow onions in the countryside. After planting, the plants should be regularly watered. After every second process, it is recommended to loosen the soil. It is also necessary to get rid of all weeds, because they consume a lot of nutrients.
Feeding the bed is necessary in a few days after the appearance of the first sprouts. Onions in the garden usually need 3 to 4 fertilizations. Most often the fertilizing process is combined with watering.
Possibilities for growing at home
You can grow green onions at home. This is usually done in the fall and winter.
In the ground.
This technology is considered one of the simplest. Before planting onions, it is necessary to prepare a container of suitable size and quality substrate. You can buy such a composition in any store for gardeners.
Before planting onions, the substrate must be well moistened. It is correct to do this with warm water. When planting the bulbs, you should not go too deep into the ground. This can lead to rotting.
For the first few days, the temperature in the room in which the container is located should be within 25 degrees. Then it should be reduced by another 2-3 degrees.
A container with greens should not be placed near heating appliances: This leads to the drying of the bottom and green leaves.
If there is no substrate at hand, the greens can be grown without it. To do this, each bulb must be sprouted. After this, a small amount of water should be poured into a container. It should be well settled. Next, it is necessary to install a stand in the palette. It is necessary so that only the roots are in the container with water.
In these conditions, the greens grow very quickly. To prevent the roots of the plants from drying out, it is necessary to regularly pour water into the container.
In egg cells.
The tablets used to grow plants should be treated with hydrogen peroxide. After that, a small hole must be cut in each cell. Next, the container is placed in the palette. The bulbs are germinated, and then cleaned of the shells. After the planting material dries, it is placed in individual wells. The roots should reach the water.
With this method, it is important to change the water regularly. It is also important to make sure that the plants get enough light, that is, they do not hide and do not stretch out. If necessary, lamps can be installed through the trays.
You can grow onions in pressed or loose sawdust. The material must be prepared. To do this, the sawdust is poured with boiling water. In some cases, they are also treated with a solution of manganese solution. Then the bulbs are cleaned from the shell and placed in a container with wet sawdust. Nourishment of plants consists in regular watering of onions.
In a bag.
Another way of breeding fresh greens at home is the use of plastic bags. First, they are filled with sawdust, damp paper towels or absorbent cotton. Then, onions with carefully cut stalks are placed in the bag. After that, it is tied up.
Open it only after the first leaves appear. Immediately after that, the roots should be well supplied with moisture. Under these conditions, onions grow very quickly. Already in 10-12 days, the gardener can use fresh greens in cooking.
In plastic containers
Clean containers under various drinks are suitable for growing onions. They need to be well washed. Then several holes are made on the surface of each bottle. Usually these are checkers.
A small amount of soil or universal substrate is poured into the prepared containers. Small bulbs are placed in the pre-made holes. The roots should be directed deep into the container. Plastic bottles are placed on a palette and gently sprayed with warm water. Under these conditions, onions will sprout in a few days.
This method is especially popular among those who grow greens for sale. If everything is done correctly, even on a small area you can grow a large number of onions.
In order to get a good crop of greens, onions are planted in special mats, which are in tight containers. Before planting, they are well moistened and watered with liquid fertilizer. Onions are usually not covered with soil, but covered with a thin layer of vermiculite.
In the first days, the temperature in the room should not be very high. After two weeks it is raised to 23 degrees. At this time, the feather length reaches 25 centimeters.
It should be remembered that onions grown in this way like moisture. Therefore, the substrate must be constantly moistened.
How to grow in the greenhouse?
In order to always have tasty greens in large quantities, you can also grow onions on a feather in the greenhouse.
Most gardeners prefer to sow it in the fall. This allows you to grow a good crop of greens for the winter. Onions that are grown in the greenhouse should be watered regularly. In addition, he must constantly be in the light. The temperature in the selected room should not exceed 23 degrees. Otherwise, the young sprouts will strongly elongate. In addition, the room should be ventilated regularly. Fertilizer for fertilizing onions grown in the greenhouse should be used mineral.
To summarize, it is quite easy to grow onions on a single bed. Even without special care, the plants give a good amount of greens.
How to grow feather onions at home?
Growing onions as a feather in the home – a common thing for many city dwellers. But in order to get a decent harvest, it is necessary to follow some rules of care for the plants and apply various methods of cultivation.
What varieties are suitable for growing for feathering at home?
It is important to choose the right onions, as they have different flavors depending on the species, and not every variety is grown for vegetables. Which varieties are preferred:
- Batun, aka Tartar and winter. Considered beneficial, it comes in annuals and perennials. Feature – no onion, so it is mostly planted in the ground.
- The cut has a narrow and delicate spring part, which reaches 50 cm in length, during prolonged storage retains a pleasant aroma.
- The multi-stemmed variety tolerates low temperatures well, which makes it feel good on windowsills in winter. Practically does not require care.
- Leeks – a common variant with garlic cloves (in shape). Does not have pears.
- Summary – a juicy and unpretentious onion with a high yield. Practically requires no maintenance.
- Slicer – similar to garlic, with a spicy, stinging odor. Grows in a cool room, grows quickly.
- Parad – has excellent flavor and good green mass.
- Onions are most often used by housewives for forcing feathers. It is possible to use heads of rot.
- Rostovsky – is characterized by increased resistance to fungal diseases and gives an excellent yield.
- Black Prince – a multi-stemmed, due to which the onion gives a lot of feathers.
- Bernstein is not afraid of diseases, is distinguished by the density of greenery.
- Bessonovsky – shortened feathers with a dense structure, average yield.
Planting bulbs for seedlings in the spring requires the preparation of the place, soil, planting material and container. From this depends on the formation of seedlings, productivity, taste qualities.
How to choose a place?
In apartments, onions are often planted in a container and placed on a windowsill. This is necessary in order to provide the plant with light. Buying a cold-resistant variety, you can place it on the loggia or window on the north side. But the best option for the bulk of bulb plants is the southern side, regardless of the method of cultivation.
Selection and preparation of seeds
For feathering at home, bulbs and seeds are used. Accordingly, the latter are planted in the ground.
- The seeds should be 2-4 years old.
- It is desirable to choose strong, resilient bulbs (diameter – at least 2 cm). Their size does not play a special role.
- The root part of the onion should not be damaged.
- When the heads begin to sprout, the germination time is accelerated.
- You can use sprouts – small heads formed after planting seeds in the first year.
It is important to determine the germination of the planting material – the seeds are soaked in a damp cloth (the more germinating elements, the better). Bulbs undergo test baking – one piece is planted in water (if it germinated, the bulb can be planted at the source).
Seed preparation rules:
- Select grains without damage;
- Soak them in clean warm water for 24 hours, changing the liquid regularly.
- Pay attention to the elements that appeared – these are empty flowers;
- conduct disinfection – make a weak solution of manganese, the seeds will keep for 60 minutes;
- Wrap the seedlings in a moistened germination cloth (this is not necessary, but desirable).
How to prepare onions:
- Decontaminate onions by immersing them in a solution of potassium permanganate for an hour;
- take them out and wash them;
- put in a container with warm water, leave in a room for a day or two (depending on the size of the heads);
- After water procedures, remove the top layer of the shell and cut off the top of the head by 1-1.5 cm.
- Store onions with Epin according to the instructions in the solution.
Preparing the soil and container
The choice of container depends on how the culture will be grown – it can be a jar, bottle, box and other equipment. Remember that onions do not like high soil moisture, as they are prone to rot diseases. To avoid this, provide containers with drainage – make holes in the bottom, lay out stones.
The soil requires special preparation – it must be fertile and loose. Rules:
- if the soil is dense, add river sand and peat;
- disinfect the soil mixture with hot potassium permanganate;
- add compost or humus;
- Before planting, dry the soil after antiseptic treatment.
It is customary to plant onions at home, placing them as close together as possible. The use of seeds assumes a long period of feathering (2-4 months), the bulbs will germinate in a few days.
Seed material on the windowsill planted very rarely, because the feathers do not appear soon, they require special care.Planting technique:
- lay a drainage system on the bottom of the container;
- fill it with a layer of soil;
- make furrows to a depth of 1.5 cm;
- plant the seeds in the wells (distance between them 2-5 cm);
- moisten the soil;
- cover with foil until sprouts appear;
- place in a warm, bright place.
When the seedlings grow every day, open the ungrafted material for airing and water the seeds when the floor is dry. The best floor is one with added biohumus and coconut fiber.
Bulbs can be planted in a variety of ways – water, soil, sawdust – using a variety of containers:
There is a classic option – pour water into a container (disposable cups, glasses and the like), lay out the onions and wait for the greens. This technique is outdated and has disadvantages – rotting the vegetable, the formation of an unpleasant odor, the emergence of mosquitoes. Now many people use an improved technique that speeds up the growth of feathers and minimizes problems.
- Cut off the top of the onion, the bottom part (where the roots are) pin with a speck.
- Pour into a container of settled water at room temperature, dissolve 2 tablets of activated charcoal, lower the head so that only the root part is in the water.
- After a day, the roots will begin to grow. Now you need to drain the liquid a little, so that it does not touch the bulb, but only falls on the growing roots.
- After 12-16 days, you can collect the greens.
You can see about growing onions on a spring in water in the following video:
This is the best option, eliminating unpleasant odors and rotting. Prepare the floor, healthy bulbs, containers – container, pot, box. If you use an onion, first sprout it in water, soak it for a week. Then do the following:
- Soak the roots of the onion in water for 2-3 hours;
- Pour it into a 6-7 cm container;
- Make holes according to the size of the heads and step 2-3 cm from each other;
- Place the vegetables to a depth of 2 cm (only the root is in the ground);
- Water liberally with protective or rain purified water;
- Set aside the container for 2-4 days in a dark place, and then put it on a lighted windowsill.
This method is used when planting a large number of onion crops. It uses mats, which can be purchased in a special business. The principle of hydroculture is based on the enrichment with oxygen and useful substances, so that the green mass quickly increases.
Feature – in the first days the culture should be in coolness and shade. After a week, the system is transferred to a window sill.
Features of growing with the help of hydroculture can be seen in the following video:
Instead of soil, onions are placed in moistened wooden cuttings. This avoids lazy diseases, unpleasant taste and dirt. The only downside is that the sawdust needs to be changed after harvesting the greens.
- Disinfect with boiling water from the disinfectant;
- Place them in a container;
- Deepen the onions by 3 cm;
- Fill with water;
- Put the container on the sunny side of the apartment.
Harvest after 10-15 days. To ensure that the cuttings do not continue to grow during watering, hydrogen peroxide is added to the water (per 1 liter – 10 ml).
Watch the following video:
Take a thick plastic bag, toilet paper, prepared heads. Instructions:
- Place the paper at the bottom of the bag and moisten it;
- Stack the bulbs tightly;
- Fill the bag with air;
- Tie tightly with string or a rubber band;
If you’re breeding onions in a pocket, watch the following video:
- A 5-liter bottle (after food grade drinks only);
- Expanded clay stones.
- cut out the neck;
- Cut holes in the bottom circumference (size depends on the diameter of the vegetables, the number depends on the number of root vegetables);
- Make the remaining holes in staggered order;
- Trim the edges of the holes with sandpaper or a soldering iron;
- Glue the bottom of the AWL to create a drainage system.
- Place a layer of rocks on the bottom of the bottle;
- Sprinkle some substrate of earth, peat and humus on top;
- Compact the bottom;
- Place the prepared heads in the holes (horizontally) and backfill the bottom;
- Place the top bulbs vertically;
- Pour water over them.
Caring for onions at home
For onions to give a lot of green, it is necessary to provide him with favorable conditions. Regardless of the method of planting, the following rules of care are adhered to:
- Lighting should be 10-12 hours, but there are no special requirements.
- Temperature regime: air temperature – from +18 to +22 ° C, floor or water – from +12 to +25 ° C;
- The room must be ventilated, which reduces the risk of rotting bulbs.
- Watering the soil and adding water is carried out with warm settled water or rainwater (it is forbidden to use the collected before the procedure).
When growing in the ground.
When growing spring onions in the ground requires more sunlight, so the container in the sunny south. How to care for the crop:
Take it out for fresh air or open windows every day. This should be done from the moment the feathers reach a length of 3-4 cm.
To harvest continuously, plant the bulbs in 2-3 containers with a planting difference of 2-3 weeks.
When growing in water.
If the bulbs are grown in water, you need to maintain the same level of liquid in the containers at all times. The water should be changed when an unpleasant odor appears – about once a week. To do this, use water with the temperature of the water, which is sure to be settled.
When growing in a bottle
Bulb plants are planted in bottles in the ground, so the care is the same as when planting in boxes/containers. The only difference is that the soil dries out faster in bottles, so it has to be moistened more often.
The greens begin to be harvested when they reach a length of 25-35 cm. Seedlings are cut only 1 to 3 cm from the bulb. Leaves can be harvested in bunches or one at a time, depending on the need.
If you grow onions for feathering, there are many tricks and tricks, thanks to which you can get a lot of greens and get rid of possible problems. Important tips:
Models under eggs can replace expensive hydroculture. To do this, take 1 plastic bowl and divide it in half. The lid will act as the palette, the cells as the top level. Cut out the bottom in each cell and place bulbs in the holes. Pour water into the palette, place the top level and place wooden rods between the two elements. This is to ensure that only the roots are in the water and not the onions.
Regardless of the way your family makes fresh herbs all year round, you can grow them on the springs. The main thing is to choose the method of planting, strictly follow the requirements of agrotechnics and do not forget to harvest.