Garden in autumn: a list of work that has to be done every month on the construction site
In autumn, gardeners are too early to relax. The location requires increased attention: garden and vegetable garden must be prepared for the winter season. In the article we tell you which autumn work in the garden should be done in September, October and November. You can find details on the implementation of the individual work on our website.
Autumn work in the garden and vegetable garden in September
September brings a harvest for many: fruit trees and shrubs, tomatoes, cucumbers. Therefore, all work in September aims at additional feeding and crop protection:
- Free yourself from Phytophthora. It is most common in greenhouses and in the dense green of outdoor tomatoes. If the harvest has not yet been harvested, select a bio-creation for phytophthora: they do not harm the plant and the fruits. In the absence of harvesting, chemicals are the best protection: iron or copper sulfate, Bordeaux mixture.
- We free the mulch garden. The need for this has disappeared, but it can become a breeding ground for bacteria. If the plants have not become sick, we bring the mulch into the compost and let it rotten. If there were pests and diseases, we burn them.
- We spill the gardens freed with a remedy for pests and diseases: for example fitosporin. And we plant green man. Further information on soil processing can be found on the website in the article “Floor processing in autumn”.
- We prepare the greenhouse for the winter: we remove the entire green mass, throw the floor off with fungicides and wash the polycarbonate.
- We plant several years of flowers and transplant them if necessary. It takes 4 weeks before the cold weather for the plants to hit roots.
- We collect the seeds of annual flowers, dry them and store them in the fridge. Treat yourself to a break and try it out.
- We take care of the lawn: in autumn we almost cut it to the floor, treat him, feed him, seven the bare. Depending on the region, this article can be moved in later months: the further south, the later.
- We process fruit trees with organic fungicides at the root in the calculation of 10 buckets under the tree or after the leaves if it is still available.
- We cut berry bushes, clean the regular circles and fertilize.
- We do not cut the remuming raspberries in early autumn-they have to be fed with phosphorus potassium fertilizers while carrying fruits.
What work will be carried out in autumn in October
October is the pr e-winter month in most of Russia. In addition to the southern ones, autumn is postponed by one month or even two. Let’s see what to do on a construction site in October in Central Russia in autumn. “Puncture” things that you have not yet done.
- We collect all fruits and berries that are on trees and bushes in any form, even the highest dip. We don’t leave you for winter! Plants should gain strength before the cold weather.
- We also collect everything that fell on the floor of plants and safely rotted. Old fruits are breeding grounds for pathogenic microflora, do not let them multiply.
- We take care of trees: we remove dry and broken branches, clean the trunks with a hard glove from the falling bark and treat them against braids and moss. We treat the tree with a 4% iron sulfate solution: we apply it to the affected areas with a brush.
- We bleach logs older than 5 years. To do this, choose such solutions in which, in addition to chalk, there are also adhesive and disinfecting substances in the composition. Whitewash for trees can be made independently, composition: mix chalk and PVA 1: 1, add 150 g of copper sulfate per 5 liters. Whitewashing is most often needed not only to get rid of parasites, but so that the log does not burst at the end of winter, when the sun begins to actively warm up. Otherwise parasites will crawl in and eat the tree from the inside.
- We spill trees and bushes with a lot of water. This is called moisture irrigation. The norm is 2-4 buckets per tree or shrub. Plants filled with moisture tolerate winter and cold better.
- Let’s go to the flower garden. In October, it’s time to clean the flower beds from faded plants and remove all greenery to the roots. Annuals – completely removed. Don’t forget to treat the soil with fungicides after harvest.
- We dig up bulbous plants: dahlias, begonias, gladioli, callas, gloxinia, etc. How to prepare for storage and where to store in the winter, we wrote in a separate article.
- We plant bulbs – tulips, daffodils, crocuses, muscari.
- We plant flower seeds that love layering (frost): delphiniums, lupins. Try planting them in the fall, you will be amazed at the result!
- We plant garlic before winter. If you do not know when and how to plant winter garlic, then there is an article on this topic.
- We remove root crops from the garden: beets, carrots, turnips. We leave only late cabbage, which will stand until snow and stable frosts.
- We prepare the soil for spring seedlings and let it freeze outside. This method kills all pests, weeds and their seeds.
Autumn work in the garden: November
If you think that the summer season is over, then we are in a hurry to give you a treat: a little something extra, the finishing touches so that your garden starts spring actively. We are engaged in the last month: what to do in the country in the fall in November with a garden and a garden.
The garden is getting ready for the bed, so we haven’t fertilized since the beginning of October.
- Remove any leaves from the area. Do not leave it on the lawn, so as not to provoke the growth of the fungus.
- Mow the lawn when you have time to grow up. Under the snow there should be no more than 5-7 cm of grass. To aerate the lawn soil, you can go with a thin pitchfork and make holes.
- Protect young plants from the cold, planted in spring and autumn. To do this, we mulch the earth around the trunk and wrap the plant itself with covering material. If the plant is thin, then we lay it horizontally so that the snow does not press down and break.
- In severe winters, it is worth caring for young trees more carefully: we not only use a cover, but also sprinkle it with earth or cover it with a box. We immediately throw the first snow on them to warm them.
- Strawberries need to be covered during the first frost. But only until the snow falls. As soon as winter begins, we remove the hull from the strawberries. It overwinters well under its foliage. Autumn shelter is needed to protect the uterus of the bush from the first snowless cold.
- In flower beds, remove late-blooming inflorescences and cover those that do not tolerate frost well. We pack rhododendrons for the winter a t-6, no earlier.
- Do not forget to drain the water from the barrels and tubs, turn the irrigation valves to the half-closed position, and turn off the main flow in the house. Do not leave them completely open, this will not protect against freezing and breakage.
The autumn work in the garden costs a lot of strength and energy. However, this is an important phase to prepare the location for wintering. In spring, when all the plants wake up together, you will be convinced that you have not wasted your time with processing and protection in the pr e-winter time.
Target work in the garden that I never forget
The arrival of autumn does not bring as much trouble to the garden as spring, but there are activities that help relieve the hot spring time and to lay the foundation for a future rich harvest. And first of all you have to take care of the floor. In this article I tell you what kind of autumn work I spend in the garden, ornamental and orchard. Maybe something surprises you from my list of compulsory jobs in autumn and brings great practical use.
Target work in the garden that I never forget
How do I prepare the soil for the winter?
It is very important to prepare the country for a long hibernation in order to achieve an excellent harvest next year. We are all used to the fact that the garden was dug up in autumn after harvesting and sprinkled with fertilizer, ash or humus or everything. I did that too.
But a few years ago I came across an article by the agronomic Vladimir Milyutinovich, which dealt with floor microorganisms and its large advantages.
Following his advice, I did not dug up part of the garden for several years in autumn, but rather loosened the soil in early spring. When I observed the improvement of the soil quality in my garden from year to year (and the increase in yield), I decided that this year I would switch the entire garden to this method.
This means that the excavation of the soil is no longer included in the list of mandatory autumn work in the garden. What do I do with the beds in autumn when I don’t dig?
How I feed floor microcorganisms … peas!
Microorganisms need care. They are known to like legumes, where they live, eat and breed. Therefore, they have to be fed for winter. In addition, I plant again in mi d-September, when gardening is already over.
I plant peas because it is easiest for me, but it can be beans and beans and barley and barley and oats, etc. And I plant as long as I still have some of the main fruits in my garden. Now I only have tomatoes, peppers and eggplants, they still grow and bear fruit as long as the days are warm. The main cultures slowly bear fruit and start fading, but peas begin to slip.
The second time I plant a month before the frost. I proceed as much as with the peas in the first case, while there is still something in the garden after hacking a little bit wrong with a chopper, I plant again. The rest of the garden is withered until the second pea slips.
I do not remove these peas from the garden because the jumping point is that they support the microorganisms that are in the ground with their roots all winter. And with the remains of these roots, the peas h. In addition to the fact that the earth is easily covered and protected from erosion, useful bacteria remain in it.
General cleaning in the garden … on the contrary
After my garden had stopped wearing fruit and withered, it was time to clean him. Carry out general cleaning. Therefore, I first collect dry and green abov e-ground plant parts from the beds, pull them out and then cover the floor with it. I will not take her anywhere!
You can use the shredder on the grass and chop it first and then put it on the ground. When these remnants of herbs mulch the soil in the garden, it gathers extra protection so beneficial microorganisms will safely overwinter in the soil. In addition, therefore, microorganisms receive additional nutrition. And decomposed, herbs will enrich the soil.
Have you ever paid attention to the fact that in the forest under the trees, when you have fallen lightning bolts, the earth is always loose and weeds do not grow there? Therefore, it is very useful to scatter the fallen leaves in your garden and remove them, for example, under the apple tree or other fruit trees. They will additionally enrich the soil during winter rotting and serve as housing and food for soil microorganisms.
Please note: you can not scatter aching leaves or covered with some kind of plaque in the garden, so you can bring an infection to your garden. By the way, such leaves can not be put in a compost heap. They must be cremated.
First, I deprive the dry and green above-ground plants parts of the beds in one place, and then cover the ground with them. © Firemind
Work in the orchard in the fall
Under the fruit trees you need to remove all fallen and already rotten fruit, as they are a source of infection. And also collect the entire crop of late apples and pears.
After collecting all the fruits, I prepare the soil under the trees for wintering. First of all, Kosha grass around old trees (I don’t take the grass, I let it lie) and around the young ones I loosened the earth a little. Then it must be well fertilized, because I have humus from the compost heap and the ashes.
I also fall fungicide spray on any fruit trees that grow. Apple trees, pears, plums, cherries… I do this when about 70% of the leaves are falling. I usually spray with copper or ferrous sulfate.
But for trimming trees you have to choose the moment. It is important that the tree has already begun to fall asleep – it is 100% deciduous, and the air temperature was even higher than zero. Pruning is hygienic in nature, it is necessary to remove all dry branches, slightly test the remaining ones and shorten them.
Before the onset of frost, I beat the logs. This is done to protect trees from sunburn in spring, to prevent barking, and accordingly to prevent disease. In addition, this method protects the bark of trees from pests.
To do this, I evenly apply water-based water to the tree trunk up to the first branches. But I’m only young plants with the white, they still have smooth bark and the old trees are not white. They have a powerful bark and sunburn.
My list of fall gardening chores also includes raspberry trimming. I cut all the broken, diseased and dried branches under the root. I try to only leave annual branches. This is how I thin the bush. It is important not to abandon the hemp, but to cut the branches just below the root, otherwise infection can begin in the old dry debris.
I burn the cut branches. Then I remove the weeds from under the bushes, curl the soil, scatter the humus and add a little ash. And I spray the bushes with iron sulfate to prevent diseases. It is important to do this in dry weather.
I also trade black hunters and gooseberries. I remove dry, painful branches, remove weeds, loosen and fertilize the soil. For example, I spray with fungicide, iron dentus or bordeaux liquid.
I do not insulate the bushes for the winter, since in winter our temperature never drops belo w-20C. And sometimes and lowe r-10 ° C does not occur.
It is necessary to remove all the fallen and already rotten fruits and collect the entire crop of late apples and pears. ©John Adams
Autumn work in the decorative garden
In autumn, days can already be cold, but the earth is still warm. This is a great time to plant deciduous trees, bushes, and hedges. The land is wet, which is very good for young plants, and the temperature usually does not drop below zero. The best time to land is when the trees have already started to shed their foliage.
It’s time to do the lawn if you want a new lawn in the spring. The grass must be sown by the frost while the earth is still warm. Charts with a beautiful lawn need to be mowed just before frosts-2-3 cm to the bare places of existing lawn grass.
In the fall there is time to get rid of problematic places on flower beds. This is just the time when I bring all my design ideas to life and decorative plants help me to do that. You can plant, divide and transplant perennials and closer to winter closer to sowing in winter.
The landing of bulbs and tubers from iris, hyacinth, crocus, tulip, daffodil, etc. should end about a month before the onset of frosts (so that they can take roots well).
A separate item in the list of autumn chores in the garden are flowers and decorative plants that we will plant in the spring. It is advisable to prepare and loosen the soil now.
Revision of inventory and chemicals
True proverb – cooking sleigh in summer and the wagon in winter. Everything must be done in advance and for the future. This applies to both gardening and gardening equipment. In order for us to start work without problems in the spring, we need to take care of it now. It is necessary to conduct an audit, see, maybe something needs to be cleaned, locked up and handed over something for repairs.
Despite the fact that we try to use “chemistry” in the garden and in the garden, sometimes you cannot do without them. Mineral fertilizers, fungicides, insecticides, herbicides, etc. in the fall must be sorted and optimized. Check out the expiry dates, some of them won’t be useful for next year. The spray opening device must also be checked for performance and flushed properly.
In the fall it is necessary to revise garden and garden equipment. © TheCaverderDiary
Organization of a compost heap
If you still don’t have a compost pile, fall is the best time to get it organized. Autumn leaves are perfect for this as they are very rich in nutrients. And humus from a compost heap is the best fertilizer for our garden. And it’s absolutely free.
Dear readers, autumn gives us the opportunity to realize all ideas that spring and summer usually do not reach hands. Don’t be afraid to experiment and try something new. You might have missed just that on the site. Warm and sincere autumn!
Subscribe to our free email newsletter. In weekly problems you are expected:
- The best new location materials
- Popular Articles and Discussions
- Interesting topics of the forum
Videos about the garden and garden, landscape design, indoor plants. On our channel you will find advice on effective gardening, master classes on growing plants and caring for them.
Subscribe and watch new videos!
Story is a part of our site where everyone can share their achievements, interesting stories or notes about suburban life, gardening and plant growing.
Read stories, vote for the best ones and share your experiences with amateurs and pros alike!
Real-time communication in our Telegram chat. Share your discoveries with beginners and pros. Show pictures of your plants. Ask your questions to experienced gardeners!
Any questions? Ask them in our forum. Get up-to-date recommendations and tips from other readers and our writers. Share your successes and failures. Post photos of unfamiliar plants for identification.
We invite you to our groups on social networks. Comment and share helpful tips!